Drifting thoughts of a snowflake

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Who’s this boob?

I try not to discuss politics. First of all, I don’t feel as though I possess the required level of academic and theoretical training on the issues. I’m an accountant. If you want to talk about the specifics of FASB 109, I will. If you want to talk about the intricacies of the constitution, I think your best bet would be to take it up with a qualified student of government. My point is that, unless you are an expert or exceptionally educated about a topic, I don’t think you have much business talking out of your ass. But that’s me.

And so, here I go. I’m going to let the bootie do the talking today. I was reading this article regarding the Iraqui Prison Scandal, and it mentions this quote from Sen. James Inhofe R-Okla:

I'm probably not the only one up at this table that is more outraged by the outrage than we are by the treatment," Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., said during the hearing.
"These prisoners, you know they're not there for traffic violations," he said. "If they're in cellblock 1-A or 1-B, these prisoners, they're murderers, they're terrorists, they're insurgents. Many of them probably have American blood on their hands and here we're so concerned about the treatment of those individuals."


Does anyone else think that this statement is a little twisted? First of all, “more outraged by the outrage than we are by the treatment”? My first thought was that I’ll suspend judgment on this statement, because it’s too convoluted to makes sense out of. Then when he followed it up with “these prisoners, they're murderers, they're terrorists, they're insurgents. Many of them probably have American blood on their hands and here we're so concerned about the treatment of those individuals.",I lost it.

How are we supposed to feel about American prisoners of war? Is it then acceptable that our enemies mistreat American prisoners? Isn’t that how the opposition would feel about our men and women? Would you want to serve for the military if the world consensus was “I’m not going to be accountable for how I treat you, because you killed people on my side of the fence”? What type of shirking of responsibility is this? We had a job to do, we failed that job when we humiliated, possibly raped and killed these people. They had a human responsibility to these people, and they violated it. There is not an acceptable justification for such inhuman actions, you jackass.
I feel like he put American prisoners at jeopardy. I feel like he further embarrassed me as an American, and portrayed us as egotistical narcissistic monsters void of any responsibility for humankind.

Thanks Mr. Inhofe, you boob!

 
Counters
Free Counter