Drifting thoughts of a snowflake

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

ACL Recap

I’m sad ACL is already over. I’ve been every year, and I can’t say that I was ecstatic this year when the schedule first came out. As the days got closer to the festival I started to gain enthusiasm for the line up and I now that’s it over, I can easily say it was the best ACL I’ve had.

In fact I didn’t have time to wander around the stores or the food section, because I was so busy jumping from stage to stage to catch someone. Every day had its highlight and I thought I’d share what I enjoyed with you.

You can get the set lists and downloads here so you know what I’m talking about: Here you go!

Friday my favorite show was either Gomez or Ray Lamontagne. I can’t say enough about Ray’s performance and like the little bitch that I am, I cried two or three times during his 1-hour show. I don’t know how you like your whiskey, but these days I’m enjoying mine with Ray in the background. Give it a whirl. Gomez put on a damn good show, too. Quite nice!

Saturday started off early for me with Galactic. I’ve always loved this band and even though I almost got a heat stroke at their damn show, I still love them. I usually have a hard time listening to them in the car or at home, but they put on one of the best shows this side of the Mississippi. (You like that Southern drawl?) As far as bigger bands the Shins were great. I had my doubts before hand, but they had a great performance and it was the perfect sunny day for them. I hate Jack White, but damn it the Raconteurs were fucking good. I so wanted to hate them, but that jackass is so talented you have to marvel at his work. Sigh.

Willie Nelson was the best that day by far, but I realize he’s home to me since I’m from Texas. I don’t expect you to understand. If you do understand, you’ll be pleased to know he’s still beating up Trigger better than you might expect for a man in his 70’s.

All I have to say for Sunday is that if you haven’t listen to G Love since that one old pop song, I feel sorry for you son. Try it again. Try finding someone who can play the blues and make you laugh that hard at the same time. Do it! If you figure it out, let me know. That man could make a dead man laugh and a tap his foot at the same time.

That’s my ACL review. Sure it’s sparse, but you don’t want a blow by blow anyway. There are some things I could have lived without. Waiting in the 4th row to see the Flaming Lips for one thing. This boiled down to standing for an hour in the sun with a thousand of my closets friends who refuse to wear deodorant and were all shrooming. Since I wasn’t shrooming, the performance was then lost on me I sincerely apologize to all the people dressed as Santa in the 90 degree heat for taking your spot. I’m sorry. You actually deserved it more than I did. I had no idea I would hate it that much.

To those of you who love Massive Attack, perhaps you can explain that to me. What on earth are you people hearing? The only thing that irritated me more than their music was that they had a better sound system than Willie. And don’t be mean here, people. Really, calm it down. My best friend loved Massive Attack and I still said the same things to her, “You really really need to stop with the bad dance club music. There’s a real world out there.” Maybe I’ll grow into, but for now their damn drowning and political “look at me, I’m so radical just like a high school kid” image is pathetic. If you get this band, help me out. I’ll try and grow, just for you!

by body item ;

1 Comments:

Blogger DrinkJack said...

Hum. Sounds like a blast. Willie is definitely someone I have wanted to see, but could never bring myself to go to a country concert....

5:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counters
Free Counter