Drifting thoughts of a snowflake

Monday, September 20, 2004

ACL ends

I made it through the weekend scratching and pulling myself into bed last night around 11 p.m. Not so bad considering all the sun and vodka and my noticeable shakes after 3 days of drinking. I feel like 80 bucks, so it could be worse.

The weekend was filled with talented people, people who oowed and ahhhed over Austin, people who didn’t get Austin, and old friends.

I look up at the people on stage and wonder if their parents ever looked over at their kid when they were 3 years old. Maybe the kid was just sitting there beating on a pot and dribbling out sounds. I can’t help but wonder if they looked over and saw the genius in their little tike. Do parents see the potential in their children, or do they just look at them and think they are like every other little kid. I wonder what that’s like. Despite the parent rearing, they all performed beautifully. And the great thing about ACL, compared to other festivals is that they all play together. G-love and Jack, Jack and Ben and G-love and the Gourds….. Their parents must be so proud!

On another note, my old friend came into town riding the Jesus wave. I love Jesus; I think it’s a good idea. I think it’s a good idea if you’re him, and your demons are at every corner waiting for you. I don’t however think it’s a good idea to wake me up on Saturday morning and tell me that all my gay friends are sinners. Did he not notice me drinking and smoking? Does he not remember his binders and going to jail? He dropped it after I told him that if that was his idea of God, I wanted nothing to do with it. I’ll take my chances with the sinners, fuck you very much.

I have to vent on one more thing. If you don’t like people who have multi colored hair, don’t shave their legs or arm pits, love piercings, love the Ramones, and wear black in 110 degree weather – please don’t come here. I don’t want to hear you bitch about what liberal freaks we are. I don’t want to hear that your button down shirt and Prada bag are better than a pair of worn out Dickies and chained wallet. I don’t want to hear it. If you come to visit you better like it all, and for the love of someone’s idea of Jesus don’t come here and spout out Republican bullshit. This is Austin. It’s not like the rest of Texas or the south. We are here because we love Texas, and we hate republican Bush people who get in our faces. It’s one of the only places in the state were you can have a liberal opinion without someone shooting you with their Bubba shotgun. If you want something else, Dallas or Houston will gladly take you in.

Ending on a nicer note, I saw my friend the Commander this weekend. It was nice to see a huge smile, get big bear hugs, and dance with one of the best dancers in town. It did my heart good to see someone so excited to see me, and vice versa.

Now, I must get off my soapbox. It’s lonely up here!


by body item ;

4 Comments:

Blogger mona said...

i don't cotton to the gays as sinners thing. no sir. no thanks.

(and i heart the ramones)

2:13 PM

 
Blogger Jennirhiow said...

lol..oh, amanda, that was priceless. i had a good laugh there! but no, i'm not insulting ur liking for the Ramones, but let me go hunt up their mp3 online and listen to what they're like. *pls dun judge me* chances are i've heard them and like them, but dunno they are who they are.

and remember, it aint lonely up there if u got a fren beside u ranting along! :P

5:22 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

In my humble opinion, Texas wouldn't have ANYTHING worth bragging about if it weren't for Austin.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

I know - thank God (or whoever might be up there) for Austin. I'd surely have to move out of Texas if it wasn't for this place!

And yippee for the Ramones! They're so loved!

7:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counters
Free Counter