Drifting thoughts of a snowflake

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Come play with me

I’m not sure if you’ve ever been to Austin, but if you haven’t you should consider coming down. On my way into work everyday I drive over lake Austin and look for rowers. I play a little game that if I see a rower; it’s going to be a good day. It froze here last night, so my drive over the river was beautiful this morning. Steam was coming off the dark water and the hills were covered in a light blanket of frost.

The hills were sparkling and a little fog was present lurking throughout them. The trees are still turning different shades of red and purple, but the grass is a radiant green. At night when I drive home I pass the moon tower tree and can make out part of the trail of lights.

Congress Avenue is decorated with greenery and glittering lights lining up the drive to our capital. All the bars have twinkle lights in them and feel cozy right now. Amazing bands keep pouring through our streets and even some of our homeless people can play the blues better than anyone else out right now.

Hilarious anti-Bush statements are everywhere and my sister complains how liberal everyone here is. Steps around the city are adorned with chalk advertisements of events to catch up on, and everyone talks about the recent shows and who’s who in the Austin music and film scene. We have a great roller derby and synchronized swimmers. A couple of famous people run around town like locals and no one ever goes up to them. We have the best of the best dive bars all around town, and it’s always easy to start a conversation with people.

We have plenty of freaks, which we regarded as celebrities in town. We know their names and their stories and we buy them beers. We swim down at Barton Springsin the summer and dive off cliffs at Pale Face. We drive over to Hamilton pool for picnics and marvel at the beauty of the green blue water. We’re blessed to be here around all the beauty and creativity our city has to offer.

I’m not sure why I feel so nostalgic about my home lately, but right now I can see how amazing it is. You should come.

by body item ;

4 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

celebs? like Tucker Max?
That guy needs a beat down. :P

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin said...

I dunno about anybody else but Austin's been calling me since 'Slacker' let everyone in on my life story. It isn't on my current list of destinations, but you make a damn convincing argument.

11:33 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved Austin! I would love to hang with you on 6th Stret. (Did I get that right? I spent a few hours at the bars there one night in 96...)

:) Thanks for your comment today!

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Pua; Bakin' and Tendin' Bar said...

It's nice when we can stop and really appreciate where we live. I think so many people take that for granted. A lovely post. Really beautiful. Makes me want to visit Austin.

12:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counters
Free Counter