Drifting thoughts of a snowflake

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

What did I miss?

It’s the little things you don’t say that seem to make the biggest impact. It’s that sunny day you called me at the office to have a picnic, but then couldn’t make time for it later on. It’s that friend who looks at you with tears welling up in their eyes, but you shy away from hugging them because it’s not a norm in your relationship. It’s the night you planned on making love to him, but skipped it because you ate too much at dinner.

It’s the lazy Sunday when you look over at the other person laying on the couch and start to tell them how much you love them, only to fall silent and distracted by a new commercial. It’s the little kid that starts to take your hand, but you turn to hear what someone else said to you.

It’s the opportunity that passed that defines so much of what we are today. I think of these moments I’ve let slip away, and wonder what my life would be like if I had taken advantage of them.

It’s looking into someone’s eye and knowing the perfect thing to say when a waiter with the daily special rerouts my mind. The moment is lost and forgotten like yesterday’s soup de jour. Do they know how you feel? Did you tell them? Did you make good on your word or let it slip by? We can do that next week, only you forget you ever made the plan.

Did you take them for granted or did you walk a few feet out of their way? Did you tell someone else to hold on while you picked up that little kid and twirled him around in the air? Did you reach out for their hand because they needed it? Did you pass that social line and hug them because they are human and we all need someone?

Drop a line, hold a hand, make a plan and follow through.

by body item ;

6 Comments:

Blogger mona said...

there are 100 butterfly kisses waiting for you in l.a.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Constance said...

We are barking up the same blogger trees.

Nice post. Makes me want to bother everone I've ever known with stalkish like love, so I'll just hope they know.

1:32 PM

 
Blogger DrinkJack said...

Beautifully expressed. I wish that I had the foresight to see those little things in life and act upon them. Sometimes I see them, other times I get "distracted". Tomorrow, I will make a real effort. Thanks for the push.

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Adriana Bliss said...

What a beautiful post - and so very true.

2:31 PM

 
Blogger Jennirhiow said...

so true... many times i feel i want to say or express something, but then something as stupid as a person walking in between us breaks the mood, and it's gone. but the yearning to do it lingers.

11:32 PM

 
Blogger Dirty Dan Sin said...

very nice...the older i get, the more i try to seize those careful moments - taking a healthy risk some people call it

11:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Counters
Free Counter